Having obtained a spare pair of trailing arms and having become concerned over the suitability of regular poly bushes to avoif NVH on an estate, I cleaned and installed some superflex items to the spare arms and prepared to change them. Recent warm weather and Amanda working 10-6 gave me a spare hour or so yesterday to get started.
Having removed the rear wheel after jacking the car up and supporting under the rear sill jacking point, the handbrake cable was disconnected, the drum was removed and the 6 small retaining nuts removed from their studs. Driveshaft withdrawn and brake backplate secured out of the way after undoing the brake pipe retaining nut on the trailling arm bracket, left me with the scene below.
So the trailling arm was removed and on the floor. I installed new springs, poly insulators and the poly bushes shortly after we bought the estate, so the insulators were taken from these arms, wiped and placed into the cleaned arms in readiness to reinstall.
The picture above shows the replacement arm ready to go in, I had cleaned it up and sprayed with clear laquer. Looks much better.
Replacement is just reversal of removal, cleaning and greasing the splines on the driveshaft is a good maintenance idea and new nyloc nuts on the six small hub retaining studs should be considered essential. The box of new nylocs is just showing at the bottom of the picture.