Friday, 15 June 2012

The best Father's Day present ever?

Sadly like many families these days my kids live with their Mum and stay with us every other weekend.
This weekend (handily) they are with me. Callum who is 12, asked me when he arrived this evening if I wanted my father's day present now.
Not wanting to stop his obvious enthusiaism, I replied 'Yes ok'
He shot off to his bedroom to get it out of his bag and after closing my eyes as instructed, this is what I received.

He made the frame himself and even etched the perspex with the logos via some special computerised printer at school. It isn't important that Father has an extra r in it, although it may be apt, (Callum is so used to spellchecker these days he never checks things!) Kids frustrate you at the best of times, but occassionally they really make you so happy.
I think it maybe the best Father's Day present ever! 

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

A quieter exhaust?

Today, with the aid of Pete's lift, I started the first stage of the EFI installation on Amanda's estate HOE. With the 2000 Register National starting next week and us planning on using HOE for that, now would not be the time to start major projects. The CW 6-3-1 does have a welded socket at the collector for a lambda sensor, these don't like being subjected to use without being connected electrically. I managed to cobble together a bung for this via a truck parts retailer.
So after removing the exhaust system and downpipe from the old cast manifold I stripped the carbs and inlet manifold off, plugging the coolant hoses to stop too much leaking out. As I stripped this out I noticed damage to the cast item that I would no longer be using.

Obvious in the photo above is a section of metal missing from around the securing hole above cylinders 4 and 5, more obvious in the photo below is the hairline crack developing in the centre where the front 3 and rear 3 cylinder join. This was longer still at the rear! So the manifold had seen it's best.

Another item that had seen it's best was the gasket between manifold and head, this showed signs of blow by at both exhaust and inlet. When undoing the securing nuts, some were no more than finger tight so the blow by was no surprise. Once removed the gasket had 'manifold' stamped on one side and looked for all the world as if it were the original.

The new (to me) CW manifold looks far sexier than the cast item, so after cleaning up the mating surfaces of the head and manifolds, reassemly began. The photo below was before I remembered that Andy had given me some cut down 9/16 spanners, once I tried bolting up the inlet manifold at no.1 cylinder I worked out what they were for and why I shouldn't have left them at home. The first lower stud under no.1 inlet is shrouded by the exhaust runner from no.1. So it all had to be undone, the spreading washer was shaved a little to reduce height and width and the nut was wound on (1/8th of a turn at a time) whilst slidng the exhaust manifold back to the head. I will be investing in some allen head set screws before the inlets are changed to the EFI ones to try and get over this problem.

Once this minor set back was overcome the rest was just a reversal of the stripdown. I just hope the starter motor doesn't decide to give up now! A rear exhaust support bobbin was replaced along with a coolant hose and clips and it was time for the big startup. The car now sounds really nice, this manifold is said by many to flow no better than a 6-2 TR5/6 manifold, but it does sound good, it may have removed a little of the 'boom' that estates with semi sport exhausts suffer with too, BONUS.

Friday, 1 June 2012

A foot in the door of recovery

My last blog entry finished with me about to take (with Dad driving obviously) FRanK for an MOT. So the photo above of FRanK at Blyton circuit is an indulgence due to him passing the test.
The remaining photos are what was uncovered today when the bandage and dressing was taken off by the nurse. A good rate of healing for seven days.

After a buff over with a wet wipe to remove what was inaccessible for a week it was clear to see (but not so much in the pics) that all the foot is bruised and at least yellow but in some places purple.


At least it is on the mend and I can put socks and shoes on both feet for the first time in a week. My apologies for the foot pictures I have had some complaints about the last ones.